Padukone explains Cannes dress choice

Deepika Padukone has said that she decided to wear a saree when she walked the red carpet at Cannes because she wanted to represent India.

The 24-year-old actress, who was born in Denmark, claimed that she always prefers to attend international events wearing the Indian national costume.

"Long ago when I had started modeling, I had promised myself that whenever I attend an international event, I'd wear a saree because I'd rather represent my country in the national costume than in western clothes. I get enough opportunities at home to wear western clothes. When I'm seen at an international event I’d rather be fully Indian," Padukone told Real Bollywood.

"I find the saree very Indian and yet very sensuous. I wore an off-white Rohit Bal creation on the red carpet. It felt good to be so Indian so far away from home.

"Here at Cannes, they aren’t looking at me or anyone else from Bollywood as oddities. Even if I was in a saree I didn't feel marginalised or ethnic. I feel…at home!"
more

Popular Posts

Blog Archive