David Beckham Visits Troops In Afghanistan

British soccer ace David Beckham has risked his own safety by jetting into Afghanistan to raise the morale of troops fighting in the war-torn country.

The sports superstar left U.K. RAF airbase Brize Norton in Oxford, England on Friday and arrived in the war zone under the cover of darkness.

He will make the rounds of the British army's base in the nation's Helmand Province, and hopes to boost the soldiers' spirits with his surprise visit.

Before flying out of England, he told reporters, "I have nothing but admiration for these young men and women and it makes me very proud to be British. I've wanted to visit Afghanistan for a long time and I hope that in some way it helps remind everyone at home what an amazing job they are doing out here (sic) in very difficult conditions. I feel very humble."
more

Popular Posts

Blog Archive