'I assume people hate me'

Ricky Gervais has claimed that he does not want to be a "national treasure" and loved by everyone.

The TV comic said that he is not interested in trying to please all his critics, arguing that even his most popular work such as The Office has received mixed reviews.

"I assume more people hate The Office and hate me than like my shows and like me," he said. "I don't work to become a national treasure. I'm an artist, I want to make a connection, I'm not doing it for people to agree with me.

"Mixed reviews - what doesn't have mixed reviews. Richard Curtis said The Office was the best show he'd ever seen. Tim Brooke-Taylor said it was the 'sort of comedy I loathe'."

Speaking about mixed opinions on his Golden Globes hosting performance earlier this year, he added: "One person said that I was booed. That didn't happen. But that's when opinion crosses over into lies.

"But I don't mind if you say, it's awful, I didn't like it, he's the least funny person in the world, The Office is overrated. That's not a problem."

The Ricky Gervais Show starts Friday, April 23 at 10.30pm on Channel 4.
more

Popular Posts

Blog Archive