Sarita Choudhury teams up with Keanu Reeves

After working with the likes of Denzel Washington in Mississippi Masala and Paul Giamatti in Lady In The Water, American actor of Indian origin, Sarita Choudhury will be seen opposite Keanu Reeves. “The film is untitled as we speak,” Choudhary says, insisting that she’s been asked to stay tight-lipped about the film’s story. “It’s an independent feature, expected to release next year.”

The actor, the leading lady in Sona Jain’s For Real that’s currently playing in theatres, says she has always been inclined towards Indie cinema. “But New York hardly makes such movies anymore,” Choudhury laments.

“I think it would be interesting to work on Indian movies now. Mumbai is making the kind of films New York used to make once. So, I am looking out for projects here.”

Even in those movies, Choudhary’s usually been cast as a New Yorker, and has played an Indian character in only a handful of movies. She chuckles, “If I get the New York accent right, people don’t think of me as an Indian. Probably, that’s why I’ve been typecast in such roles. Sona’s offer excited me because I was playing an Indian from India.”

In Jain’s film, Choudhury plays a mother who is torn between her family and her dreams. “The script was compelling,” she says. “Sona may have been a first time director, but she is smart and a film nerd, like me. She was in control of what she was doing. So I enjoyed being directed by her.”
more

Popular Posts

Blog Archive