Call me to frisk Angelina Jolie and Megan Fox

He says he tries to follow the rules and has been strip-searched several times while travelling within the US. But the two-hour detention at Newark airport was different, says Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan, with authorities asking "bizarre and embarrassing" questions instead of following routine security measures.

"I am scared of the authorities and rules so I try to follow the rules of the country I travel to. Whenever I am in America, I have to report at least two hours in advance while travelling within the country for security reasons -- they ask me to take off my clothes and shoes, and I do that, " Shah Rukh told reporters here Tuesday, four days after he was detained at the Newark airport.

"But I never experienced this kind of treatment. It was embarrassing... I've never been asked such questions. "

"There are some routine security measures - they check your fingerprints and scan your retina. But the routine security process was not followed. Instead, the authorities asked me bizarre and irrelevant questions. I am not trying to make a point here, but why were security measures not followed?" he asked.

Shah Rukh said he quietly followed the instructions of the authorities.

"I didn't say a word there because I have a sense of humour which might lead to something... I don't want special treatment. I was not angry and I was not disturbed. "

"The security of any country is important but caste, religion or race shouldn't come in the way of security measures. You may call me a mega star, a celebrity, but basically I'm just a normal guy.

But I'm lucky that I have access to friends in the (Indian) consulate whom I could call up. But there are hundreds of others who don't have this facility, " Shah Rukh pointed out.

The actor denied that the detention and the publicity that followed was a publicity stunt for his forthcoming movie "My Name Is Khan".

He said: "It's not a publicity stunt. My film is coming almost nine months later and it's not a matter of pride to be questioned at the airport. I do not want to sound pompous, but Shah Rukh Khan does not need any publicity for any promotion. I don't need it either for a film or for myself. "

To Samajwadi Party leader Amar Singh's allegation that he had blown the matter out of proportion to publicise his forthcoming film, Shah Rukh retorted with a tongue-in-cheek reply: "Amar Singh is unwell, and I pray that he recovers soon with a healthy body and strong mind. "

Commenting on Information and Broadcasting Minister Ambika Soni advocating a tit-for-tat policy with the US after what he went through, Shah Rukh said her comments indicated that the government was looking into the larger problem.

Shah Rukh, known for his humour, added: "If you want to give a tit-for-tat policy to American actors, then call me to frisk Angelina Jolie and Megan Fox whenever they are visiting India. " `
more

Popular Posts

Blog Archive