Elizabeth Taylor on Hollywood, sex and marriage

Tabloid scandals. Turbulent marriages. Oscar-winning movie performances. Elizabeth Taylor's life just about had it all. The Hollywood icon, who passed away today at the age of 79, possessed a quick wit to match her smouldering screen presence. The Cleopatra star openly poked fun at her (many) weddings and had no qualms about addressing the problems that affected her personal life. Below we've compiled some choice quotes from one of the 20th century's greatest movie stars.

On birth and marriage...
"My mother says I didn't open my eyes for eight days after I was born, but when I did, the first thing I saw was an engagement ring. I was hooked."

On her male co-stars...
"Some of my best leading men have been dogs and horses."

On big Hollywood pay cheques...
"If someone's dumb enough to offer me a million dollars to make a picture, I'm certainly not dumb enough to turn it down."

On alcohol...
"I had a hollow leg. I could drink everyone under the table and not get drunk. My capacity was terrifying."

On sex...
"I've only slept with men I've been married to. How many women can make that claim?"

On ageing and relationships...
"I suppose when they reach a certain age some men are afraid to grow up. It seems the older the men get, the younger their new wives get."

On the death of Michael Jackson...
"I just don't believe that Michael would want me to share my grief with millions of others. How I feel is between us. Not a public event."

On George Bush...
"I don't think President Bush is doing anything at all about AIDS. In fact, I'm not sure he even knows how to spell AIDS."

On avoiding complacency...
"There's still so much more to do. I can't sit back and be complacent, and none of us should be. I get around now in a wheelchair, but I get around."

On reaching her fans through Twitter...
"I like the connection with fans and people who have been supportive of me. And I love the idea of real feedback and a two-way street, which is very, very modern. But sometimes I think we know too much about our idols and that spoils the dream. So, like all things, it is to be used with care!"

Credit : Digital Spy
more

Popular Posts

Blog Archive